I always take some heat(pardon the pun) from readers when ever I poke a little fun at people who manage to kill or severely maim themselves in completely avoidable ways. Usually the family and friends of the person are the ones to write in and excoriate me for being a horrible person. While it may be true that I'm a horrible person, it doesn't change the fact that it's entirely worthwhile to blog about people hurting or killing themselves in stupid ways, as a cautionary tale, if not for the morbid humor of it. That said, here's another TRR public service post.
Today's topic: Fire and Gasoline Don't Go Together,
ABINGTON - As a 31-year-old Whitman native fights for his life in a Boston hospital following a backyard fire caused by gasoline, officials are urging the public not to use flammable materials around outdoor fires.
“Any flammable liquid, especially gasoline, cannot be used near any open flame,” Abington Fire Capt. John Nuttall said Sunday.
William Brooks of Lewiston, Maine, was listed in critical condition at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston Monday morning, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Brooks suffered second- and third-degree burns over an estimated 75 to 80 percent of his body after pouring gasoline on a backyard fire pit in Abington Saturday night, causing an explosion.
Brooks was on fire for at least 30 seconds after the explosion.
Dude burned for 30 seconds! Wow! One could almost have cooked a marsh mellow if one was prepared. Who doesn't know not, not to pour gas on a fire? Had Mr. Brooks never heard the metaphoric cliche', "That's like pouring gas on the fire."? Even though Mr. Brooks was that stupid, his even stupider friends stood there while he did it and said nothing. How about a, "Dude, maybe you should rethink that."?
I'm sure I'll hear from Mr. Brooks's family and friends who'll threaten me and tell me what a great person he was/is. He might be a great person but, he's a great, stupid person.