In Indiana, they've passed a law that requires cigarettes to self-extinguish if not actively used. That is, if the smoker doesn't re-light or actively suck on it, it'll go out by itself. Apparently the statistics regarding fires caused by unattended cigarettes are pretty staggering. They interviewed a smoker for the article....with predictably absurd results.....
Unlike traditional cigarettes, the new fire-safe smokes will burn out more quickly when left unattended and are designed to cut down on the number of smoking-related fires.
"The cigarettes are made from the same blend of tobacco as regular cigarettes," said Indiana State Fire Marshal Jim Greeson. "The only difference to the consumer is they need to puff it more often or relight it."
Jess Brewer of Lafayette said her first encounter with the fire-safe smokes was not good.
"Since coming back from Kentucky about a week ago, I've been coughing constantly and having chest pains because you have to inhale harder on the new cigarettes," she said.
That's rich! She blames her coughing and chest pains on having to suck harder, not on the fact that she's a stupid, career smoker in the first place.
Then came the money quote.....
"I'm totally against the change," Brewer said. "What's the point of making safer cigarettes if they lead to negative health effects?"
It's as if she believes cigarettes don't lead to negative health effects, regardless of fire safety. What an idiot!