Here are some minimum wage statistics borrowed from Walter Williams that I'll bet you won't hear from Democrats or the mainstream media...
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:
1. 63% of minimum wage workers earn a raise within one year of employment
2. Only 15% of minimum wage workers still earn min. wage after 3 years
3. Only 3% of all hourly workers, and 2% of wage and salary earners make minimum wage
4. 53% of minimum wage earners are between ages 16 - 24 (ie. they are young and still single)
5. Only 5.3% of minimum wage earners are from households below the poverty line
6. 40% of minimum wage earners live in households with incomes of $60,000 and higher
7. Over 82% of minimum wage earners do not have dependents
Based on these statistics, it is obvious that when the Democrats and media tell us that the minimum wage must support millions of families of four and therefor must be a "living wage", they are lying! Liberals use the minimum wage canard to appear compassionate. The appearance of compassion buys them favor with their willing accomplices in the media, and the hand-out voters will dutifully vote for their Democrat patrons in Congress who keep the goody bags coming.
The truth about the minimum wage debate is that Democrats are interested in the welfare of the poor only in the sense that the poor continue to vote for them. It's the labor unions who the Democrats are really trying to please. Democrats have always been slaves to the labor unions and union labor contracts are almost always tied to the minimum wage. Anytime you have a minimum wage increase, the pay of union workers goes up by some factor. If you don't believe me, check out the AFL-CIO(America's largest labor union) website. It's full of minimum wage propoganda. AFL-CIO workers don't make the minimum wage, they are obscenely overpaid.
Democrats need as many Americans to remain on the government dole as possible to assure a broad voting base. Heaven forbid if people are motivated to improve their lives and as a result, no longer need the assistance of government programs to survive. Why do you think successful, achieving tax-payers generally vote Republican?
What Democrats don't tell you is that whenever the minimum wage is raised, many workers lose their jobs and the prices of goods and services goes up accordingly for the consumers. Democrats don't care one bit about the consequences of their actions, as long as they appear compassionate around election time and it tricks gullible Americans into voting for them.